As someone who is very health concious, I have been somewhat late in getting into the juicing craze (well juicing at home anyway).
Two reasons for this:
- I always thought it was better to eat the whole fruit (hence including the pulp) and didn’t want such an overload of fruit sugar without the pulp.
- I always assumed that it would be messy and extremely tedious to wash the juicer etc.
Well I was recently given a gift and yes you can guess it was a juicer!
I was extremely surprised at the ease of using it and how quickly it could be cleaned.
Also the ability to consume more fruit and vegetables in such a quick way was quite appealing (though the lack of fruit pulp/fibre was slightly a concerning factor for me – I resolved this by adding either flaxseeds or a little of the actual pulp back into the juice).
The model I received was the Phillips Whole Fruit Juicer.
It also came with the Jason Vale DVD (aka “The Juice master”) which was great as it showed different juice recipes being actually made!
After juicing, I add some of the pulp that collects in the container so that the juice has some fibre (I usually add the carrot pulp as this is more palatable).
I’ve tried a couple of different recipes, but the best so far has been the following mix:
- 2 ‘red delicious’ apples
- 3-5 broccoli florets (Vitamin C & sulphur compounds which help detoxing, I love cruciferous veggies!)
- 3 large carrots (over 400 different caretenoids – i.e. Vitamin A)
The above recipe was from The Juicing Book website, all the recipes are free!
I especially like how the author of The Juicing Book talks about gradually increasing juices in your diet over time and not rushing into as well as discussing the negative consequences of overdoing it!
Do you juice?
If so, share your experiences + recipes in the comments please.
- Jason Vale at TED Dubai on Juicing
- Recipe of the week: Broccoli Almondine
- Vitamin C – Protecting you from the common cold?
- Pomegranate juice increases quality and quantity of Sperm!
- Fruits rich in Polyphenols protect against Alzheimer’s
- Honey and your Stomach
- Recipe of the Week: Eggplant Cannelloni
- Acid and Alkaline Food Diet, Part 1
- Acne – My Story, Part 3: Vitamins, Antibiotics and Herbs
- Acid and Alkaline Food Diet, Part 2